Saturday, March 1, 2008

So grown up...

I wish I would have taken my camera to our park visit today but, I didn't think we needed any more park pictures just yet. But, there was a little boy of about 9 years old that came over to the park with his little brother. I noticed that he was really into his brother and played with him but, then I started to pay attention a little more and I started to get a little sad. They both came over to the bench where I was sitting and I heard the older boy say to his little brother "Go ahead and play but dont be too rough". Then he turns to me and in this adult vocabulary says "He can get a little rough at times. He's only three but he thinks he's 10". It was so cute in his very strong country accent and I couldn't do anything but smile. I started to wonder what his home life must be like for him to be acting that way. Is he just a really good big brother or, does he take over for the man in the house if his dad is gone too much? Around here, thats very likely. A lot of the guys are on subs and they are gone ALL the time! Or, maybe his mom is the one who is in the military and thats why he was drawn to talking to me? As I got the kids together to go home he started to ask his little brother, "What do you want to do? Do you want to stay here for a while longer or would you like to go home and get a drink"? I walked away with a sense of being thankful that Rodney is here as much as he is. Its hard when he is gone just for a few days and the kids ask for him at night but, I never thought about what it would be like for them if he was gone all the time. I dont like being so far away from home and from my family but, I have to be grateful that, at least I'm not over here alone.
Just wanted to share my thoughts! I love you all!

No comments: